Senior Technologist (Marine Surveys)
Location: Victoria, BC
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2016
Expiration Date: 06 Sep 2016
Job Type: Full-Time
Since 1911, we have been part of society’s progress on five continents … and we’re not done! Our teams bring together some of the most skilled professionals anywhere. People like you, who have the desire to stretch their talents. By joining SNC-Lavalin, you’re seizing the chance to grow with a leader in engineering and construction offering challenges that never cease to inspire. Take this opportunity to go further.
Division or Project Summary
SNC-Lavalin Operations and Maintenance is recognized as one of Canada’s leading outsourced operations and maintenance solutions experts, a division of SNC-Lavalin Group Inc., the largest engineering and construction firm in Canada, and one of the five largest in the world. We continue to grow our business globally.
Our team members across the country and the globe deliver superior service to every one of our clients. Our people are vital to our success, and we build teams that are second to none. Our team embraces challenges and is engaged in working together to contribute to our business objectives.
Reporting to the Senior Engineer, the Senior Technologist (Marine Surveys) will be responsible to conduct ship surveys, provide written reports detailing the condition of the ship and repairs required, write repair specifications, and provide technical support. Additionally, the Senior Technologist (Marine Surveys) will coordinate inspections, surveys, and operational trials with the ship’s crew and technical authorities.
- Survey ships for structural, mechanical, and electrical compliance with RCN and IACS requirements
- Access all areas of the ship including masts, rigging, confined spaces, structural and non-structural tanks including waste and fuel tanks
- Observe the operation of the ship’s equipment and systems to assess functionality and identify failures and degradation
- Provide written reports to the client detailing the condition of the ship and repairs required
- Write repair specifications to return the ship to an acceptable condition
- Create CAD drawings or sketches for the specifications and update existing drawings
- Provide technical data, support and direction to Ship Maintenance Coordinators on the repair and maintenance of the vessels
- Coordinate inspections, surveys, and operational trials
- Become familiar with the corporate Occupational Health and Safety Requirements
- Promote and foster a continuing safety culture
- Adhere to required standards to minimize company risk
- Minimum Grade 12
a. Possess a minimum 3 year technical diploma in a marine field offered by a recognized technical institute or certified as a technologist by a recognized provincial, state or federal (national) licensing body in a relevant field or certified to the QL-6B level of military training;
b. Possess a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated marine professional work experience in the marine sector within the last 10 years.
- Physically fit to enable climbing vertical ladders, working at heights and enter confined spaces
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically intermediate MS Word
- Must obtain NACE2 qualifications within 12 months
- Fluent in English with excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Able to obtain required security clearance.
- 10 years experience with a marine mechanical or electrical background
- Experience with AutoCAD and SharePoint
- Eligible for APEGBC or ASTTBC registration (registration expected with 12 months)
- Experience as a marine surveyor
- The work will involve working out-of-doors year round and in all weather. It will also be required to enter confined spaces that have been prepared for safe human entry. It will also require working at heights.
- Travel out-of-town may be required for up to one week 2-3 times per year
- On call (24/7) Duty Manager for one (1) week out of ten
All candidates are welcome to apply; however, preference will be given to local candidates.
Apply Now: http://bit.ly/29oaRxM
6:00pm - 9:00pm April 24, 2018
9:00am - 4:00pm March 02, 2018
8:30am - 4:00pm March 01, 2018